Monday, April 11, 2011

number crunchers



i wish i could delete more "friends" from facebook.
i have 339 "friends" after i just deleted 21 people.

the reason i feel like i "can't" delete more people is because i would feel rude if they noticed (although i'm not sure that many would...). a lot of the people i would delete would be current and ex-coworkers i have never hung out with outside of work, acquaintances or friends-of-friends that i see every rarely and the only conversations we ever have is small talk. as well, i would delete a lot of people i used to be friends with that i don't ever talk to anymore, and stuff like that.
i got curious as to how many people i'd actually delete if i didn't feel any social guilt by doing so, and the number was 117. that's a hefty number. being the big list fanatic and number cruncher that i am, i sorted my facebook friends into several groups to see what group ruled. it wasn't all that surprising, but it is a little sad.

my results:

actual friends: 63

mostly party friends/people in my social group that i only hang with in larger groups: 70

acquaintances/friends of friends (aka people who i'd mostly have small talk with): 86

family: 9

current/ex-coworkers: 39

councils/groups: 12

friends from high school: 21

people i used to be good friends with, but don't see too often anymore: 32

other (including random swede i met at a bar, my tattoo artist, two of one friend's ex-girlfriends, a friend's dog, etc): 7

(for those keeping track, only 40% (friends + social group friends) of my facebook friends are people i actually consider my friends...)


if i were able to delete guilt-free, i would be down to 222. this grouping would be friends, the majority of the social group friends, a couple family members, and then people who i felt would be good to stay in touch with for arts/cultural job/event/etc purposes. i would like to delete 35% of my "friends" on facebook.

sometime i'd like to just delete facebook all together, because it creeps me out at times, but in the end, i keep it, because it really is a great way to keep in touch with people and figure out what to do on a friday night...

--------------------

sorry, i know this post was probably real boring for anyone other than me, but in the end it's my blog, and it's all about recording my thoughts, inspirations, etc. so yeah.
there will be more music, art, and whatever else soon i'm sure.

3 comments:

Notme2000 said...

I got both of my jobs through Facebook, believe it or not. Through those outer-circle people. Even though I wasn't too aware of them, they were apparently aware of me. One of my job offers was actually in a facebook message, and that's how I got my salary position here in Halifax.

I've also had distant acquaintances become great friends through FB. One girl I barely knew who was apparently kinda creeping me on FB ended up being a 4 month relationship in Edmonton.

Networking is key! The more people, the better. I understand the impulse to simplify, but each person represents opportunity! Don't slam the door on them!

Either way, glad I didn't get deleted :)

lou said...

i definietly agree. that's one reason i do have a lot of people i might not know the best on fb, for opportunities. i do agree that networking is key in a lot of situations, but i think that if you use fb as a source for both personal and professional outlets, you have to be careful and really really censor what you allow others to see. when it comes to networking, censorship is also key.

Notme2000 said...

A fair point!